Business Lessons From An Enigma.
You may not like Donald Trump.
You may think he is crude and totally unsuitable to be President of the United States.
You may think there is nothing that you can learn from him.
On the last point, you are wrong. Donald Trump knows how to sell like no one else. Sell himself. Sell his company. Sell his candidacy to be the most powerful man in the world.
I am not making a case for or against The Donald. But what I am saying in bold face that he is the greatest business and career salesperson on the planet and that if we open our minds, we can learn and apply a powerful methodology that he has deployed to build a legendary career and fortune.
So how does Trump sell?
1. Never ask for what you want. Instead make it clear what you will deliver.
2. Toss out the rule book. They only works in sales training classes, where no one but the trainer is really selling anything.
3. Make provocative statements when you believe in them. Pablum is safe but it bores everyone to tears and moves no one to buy anything.
4. Trust in yourself and consider most everyone else a jealous competitor.
5. Focus on being a pragmatist. Ideology may have its place in life but not in sales. Great salespeople concentrate on what needs to be done to face challenges and leverage opportunities. They are inspirational fixers.
6.Refuse to loose. You may suffer setbacks, but you will lick your wounds and go back on the offensive.
Watch Trump. He’s not a show. He is a lesson.